Mid ’18 MacBook Pro 15″ Battery/Logicboard Issues
#macbookProErrors #macSSDHD_Crash #macSSDHD_Alive #MBPBattery #batteryFail #Mid_late’18//
Update pending, matter of fact, primary machine we are running that latest applications and code on. Quick update, mid ’18 Macbook Pro crashed via upgrade from Mojave/Catalina to BigSur. This ‘upgrade’ went along with the mid summer/late summer updates via WWDC. Anyway, we go through boot issues, kernel panic, reinstall post reformat MAC Journaled to AFPS… and finally installer packages, boot scripts, an install of Ubuntu 21 sans mouse or keyboard functionality and more. They say pictures are worth a thousands or more words, so let’s take a peek. Oh, and don’t forget ‘csrutil’ enable and disable for unwanted apps, native apps and clearing system integrity ‘issues’. This command only works when you run Recovery Mode, Terminal Utility… we can just leave that there for another day. One other item to note, this is all MacOS specific, assuming your running a MacOS alt OS on a Windows (PC), Linux, Linux Alternatives and/or VM, downloads are available and are similar when unpacking the root cause.
- Flash Old Version of MacOS and Installer Package
- Create USB Install via Terminal
- Check OS Version (if possible) MacOs Version Compatibility
- Reset PRAM, Run Diagnostics, Internet Recovery, Target Disk to Move existing files; all there, just make sure you know what version of MacOS. If you don’t, click the ‘Apple’ Icon at the top/left -> Select About This Mac -> Overview. This assumes you have a running version of MacOS. Or check the Apple Product# on the underside of your Macbook Pro and work forward…
- MacOS Startup KeyBoard Combinations
- Diagnose Error Codes -1008F, Address Overheating and Fan Control
- Apple Support thread specific to -1008f
- Remove Device from iCloud – Find Device, Disable AFPS Admin Security Settings
- Backup Drive to external storage device
- Handy Drive SanDisk Drive
- Clean/Remove Drive, Remove AFPS Drive/Volume(s)
- Internet Recovery High Sierra, MacOS and Installer Package (Pre El Capitan, Yosemite or Lion)
- MacOS Mojave
- MacOS High Sierra
- Boot MacOS Install, Reinstall Existing Apps, Install Catalina working patches, updates
- Install New Apps, Settings and Remove unwanted settings as it relates to latest OS
- Maintain existing MacOS sans MacOS OS Upgrades or Forced Updates, Uncheck installation automation for all apps, requiring system to be manually updated
- Bootcamp Install, Flash/Install WIN10, Throw-out old server (Z400)
- ISOs – MS – WIN10.iso, Ubuntu – Ubuntu 21.10
- With the addition of MacOS Server
Key takeaways, note make/model, year, shipped quarter, chipset(s) and chip security settings… if your computer is locked, check iCloud device status, remember install package pre/post logicboard changes. We chose this routs since all logicboards for this particular machine have been out of stock and remain out of stock for this particular model… hmmm wonder why? No need to replace the battery just yet… may have to on the second go around.
When I get a chance, we will post a few pictures of WIN10 running in Boot Camp, Ubuntu 21 running with keyboard or mouse support, and other images for MacOS Server etc.
If a ‘do over’ is required, not sure this process would flow the same; depending on the outcome of each step, model, year, OS… Computer works fine, nearly 2 months following this ginormous fail. Again, not something we suggest doing, unless there is no alternative; we had none. We also, hung up the ole’ MBP Late ’12… lag on the network.